Tuesday, January 31, 2017

RAR #22: THE APACHE KID



I have little to say about the Apache Kid, though he meets my criteria for a "Real American" by dint of being a white orphan adopted into Indian culture. His original name was Alan Krandal, but after growing to manhood under the tutelage of adoptive Indian father Red Hawk, he took a new name, Aloysius Kare, a saddle-tramp who was essentially nothing but the secret ID for the swashbuckling Apache Kid. What he did to earn his daily bread when he wasn't making peace between white men and red men remains a mystery to me.

I've only read the stories reprinted in Marvel's WESTERN GUNFIGHTERS, and they strike me as singularly unremarkable. The feature's only distinction may be having the first western hero to sport the name "Aloysius."

No comments:

Post a Comment